Monday, January 18, 2010

Canon ID Mark IV




OK, I admit it.  I love technology.  I love the latest and greatest.  I always thought that Canon's 1-series cameras were going to be just out of reach for me.  Then, a stroke of luck, some extra cash, a quick sale of an almost new 7D and here I sit with a new Canon 1D Mark IV.  I feel extremely fortunate.  It's only been a couple of days with this new state of the art machine but there's so much to love about it already:

  • The new 45 point auto focus system is great.  No hunting in low light (like my 5D Mark II often does)
  • High ISO shots are fabulous.  I've shot at ISO 8000 which cleans up nicely with even the default settings in Noiseware Professional noise reduction software
  • The noise pattern itself is more pleasing (to me) as compared to the Canon 7D
  • I think I like the 1.3 crop factor better than the 1.6 but I still like full frame (5D Mark II).
  • The feature set like spot metering on the AF point
  • The new AI Servo for action shots
There's much more that I have only read about but not explored.  But at the end of the day, the camera has to take good photographs regardless of all the features.  The image in this post was taken during a recent trip to Ft. Lauderdale, FL (think warm).  It was taken at ISO 6400, handheld and processed with noise reduction software.  The glow in the foreground is due to the street lights on the main draft in Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

No comments: